Food South Australia has a dynamic team of staff, all experienced in the food industry and includes well established offices in Adelaide, Japan and China, who offer expert support to South Australia food companies moving into and expanding in these markets.
Catherine Sayer, Chief Executive Officer
- Chief Executive Officer of CEO of Food SA since inception.
- As CEO, Catherine ensures Food SA supports members through showcasing products and businesses to markets nationally and internationally, including through offices in Japan and China.
- Established high level networks across Government and industry encompassing a wide range of sectors to bring issues to a consensus and bringing together people in a cooperative manner to find a common ground.
- Involved in a portfolio of board roles covering a range of sectors over the years including fisheries, forestry, horticulture, agribusiness and rural financial services.
- Qualifications include a degree in Marketing and graduate of the Diploma of Australian Company Directors.
Darren Curnow, Membership Development
- Food South Australia and Eat Local SA member support and development.
- Extensive key account management experience across Retail, Foodservice and Convenience channels.
- Established relationships within international markets of New Zealand, China, Hong Kong, UK, Chile and more.
- Held senior management, sales and marketing roles with Woolworths Ltd, SunRice Australia, Berri Ltd, National Foods and Laucke Flour Mills.
- Diploma of Business Management, Sales & Operational Planning, Code of Conduct Accreditation.
Chris Crago, Marketing & Events Manager
- Marketing communications and events specialist for over 25 years.
- Extensive experience in major food, wine and arts events, and created and managed award winning business, Le Zinc Restaurant & Wine Bar.
- Held senior executive roles at Business SA, Adelaide Festival Centre, City of Playford, Grant Burge Wines and managed own marketing communications consultancy.
- Managed complex business partnerships for food, wine and arts organisations.
- Tertiary qualifications in Marketing.
Samara Miller, Export & Industry Development
- Twenty years of varied experience in the seafood industry.
- Previous roles with the Abalone Industry Association of SA, the Spencer Gulf and West Coast Prawn Fishermen’s Association and the Seafood Training Centre of Excellence Inc.
- Master of Science in Marine Environmental Protection from the UK, tertiary qualifications in Biology and Psychology and is a graduate of the Australian Rural Leadership Program.
Wendy Whiley, Operations, Human Resources and Accounts
- Specialising in human resources/recruitment, previously working for Diabetes SA, Entrée Recruitment and in marketing/ recruitment for the UniSA Student Association.
- Bachelor and Post Graduate qualifications in both Visual Communications and Marketing.
- Currently studying a Master of Visual Arts.
Lee Welch, Communications Projects
- Qualifications in gastronomy, information management and journalism.
- Over 30 years experience in communications and marketing, and information systems, plus 20 years working as a freelance writer and editor with a focus on business and feature writing for food, science, the arts and small business, including grant and award application, marketing and technical content.
- Winner of the inaugural Sumptuous scholarship to study gastronomy with Le Cordon Bleu/University of Adelaide, alumni of the Snowbird Leadership Institute, and recipient of a PRIA commendation for consumer and social marketing, Lee has also written two textbooks on marketing and written and edited a number of commemorative publications, including Do and Hope: Realising the Waite Vision for the 75th anniversary of the Waite Campus.
Tim Tanaka, Representative Japan Office
- Based in Osaka, Japan, Tim has strong international experience and background in trade.
- Previous experiences as a JTB domestic tour operator and has managed the Food SA office in Japan since 2000.
- Has specialist expertise in the seafood and citrus industries.
- Graduated from Toyo University in 1996 with English and Business. Also studied in Adelaide, Australia at TAFE SA completing an Advanced diploma of Tourism in 2000.
Tony Wang, Director China Office
- Based in Shanghai, China, Tony has strong international living, working experience and background and has been a professional international trading consultant and business owner for over 12 years.
- Specifically targeting to the China agri and foods industry, Tony has spent most of his time helping international agri and food companies marketing and sales efforts in China, with profound experience and knowledge about China policy, market, products, channels, consumer’s preference and more.
- Strong experience on North American and Australian products, familiar with China major QSR, main food manufactories and retailers.
- Excellent track record with most customers gaining substaintial business growth in China.
- Graduated from Shanghai University, with a Bachelor in Business Management.