South Australian Bushfires
Information for the food and beverage industry
This fire season has caused significant damage to families and businesses across the food and beverage industry in South Australia. Food South Australia has set up this page to enable affected businesses to share information and find updates as industry and business recovery needs and plans become clearer following the recent fires.
Assistance for fire-disrupted food and beverage manufacturers
(Please contact Food SA on 8303 9435 for further details on offers/requests listed here)
- Space for storage or to cook product available in Littlehampton
- Replacement food processing equipment and supplies
- Assistance with rebuilding/engineering requirements
- Food product testing for stored finished product that may have been compromised by fire-related disruption (eg loss of power to storage facility etc)
- Hotline for urgent business/accounting questions and initial advice
- The Federal Government has established a bushfire response information hub as part of the recovery work led by the National Bushfire Recovery Agency, which will collate government support for those affected by bushfires. Click here for more information.
- Business SA is establishing a directory to coordinate trades and services available on a pro bono basis to fire-affected businesses. Find out more here.
- While PIRSA’s assessments of livestock and horticultural losses from SA bushfires are continuing, the latest figures have been released for for the Kangaroo Island, Cudlee Creek, Kersbrook, Keilira /Coonalpyn and Yorketown fires. Read the media release here.
- Foodbank SA has now activated as the primary food donation drop off point for businesses wanting to donate food to people affected by the bushfires. They are currently receiving and distributing to recovery centres and groups assisting on the fire grounds including the Salvos and Blaze Aid. Click here to find out more.
- SeaLink is providing travel packages for bushfire-affected businesses and families. Click here to read the media release.
- Assessments of losses are continuing through Cudlee Creek and Kangaroo Island bushfire zones. ABC reported an estimated 40% of beehives on Kangaroo Island have been destroyed on 7 January.
- Donating to fire appeals – please be aware there are now scam appeals operating. All donations should be made via official appeals or by you approaching your selected appeal, not in response to unsolicited calls.
Food and beverage manufacturers, processors and producers can use this page to post information regarding needs or offers of assistance by clicking on this link to email us, and Food SA will add additional advice and updates as these become available.