The Market District is one of the iconic areas of the City. The district incorporates the Adelaide Central Market, the Market Arcade, Market Plaza and Chinatown, Her Majesty’s Theatre, and the restaurant strip of Gouger Street.
Recent work in the district has identified that there would be benefit in greater activity occurring in the area on Sundays. Council is seeking innovative proposals for regular activation of Sundays in the Market District. Expressions of Interest (EOI) are now open until 2pm on 29 March 2016.
- The Market District is looking for proposals that:
- Are unique, exciting, dynamic and fun ideas that are not necessarily limited to markets
- Can be run by people from the private sector, including business operators in the area or in partnership with a community service or not for profit organisation
- Are complementary to the vision for the area, support the overall offer of the district and do not directly compete with existing businesses in the area or other Sunday markets in the City
- Would be a regular Sunday attraction to people in the city, wider Adelaide and tourists
- Would add to the mix of activities and uses already operating in the district on a Sunday and encourage more existing operators to open
- Might be able to leverage off major and other events that happen in the city or district (such as Lunar New Year, Tour Down Under, Classic Car Rally etc.)
- Has the potential to grow as a notable feature of the city